Update: Ben and Brooke do money.
Brooke and I started our Mason Jar Money game back in February and stuck to the following rules.
- Every time you have spare money in your pocket or wallet, put it in the jar. But also sometimes just walk by and put not-so spare money in.
- Any time you are thinking about going out to eat, put some money in and cook a meal instead.
- Every time you are thinking about buying a $5 latte, put a $5 bill in and, you know, just don’t have the latte.
- Make it a competition. Treat it like an actual game. Your significant other put two dollars in? Go over and put three in.
- You are not allowed to take money out or count it.
- At the end of the month, clear a table and count all the money (so fun) and roll it (not as fun).At last check we were at $697 and today we are at $1,300 without drastically changing our spending habits. Not only is it fun and competitive, it’s obviously helping us in the long run.
We’re getting married in less than a year and I’m feeling a little grown up starting our financial foundation while still feeling like a kid adding money to his piggy bank.
Jazzy (Taken with instagram)